Current News
Current News

Covid-19 - Coronavirus

For information and the latest advice regarding Coronavirus, when to self-isolate, how to get tested along with additional support that is in place, please visit: Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support - GOV.UK ( 

One important part of ensuring the safety and wellbeing of pupils, students, parents and our communities is testing for coronavirus. We have included helpful links and information in this document to use in the event of arranging a test and self-isolation, from arranging medicine and food deliveries, to support for financial difficulties and looking after your mental wellbeing.


What are the Coronavirus (COVID- 19) symptoms?

You should only book a test if your child or someone in your household has any of these 3 coronavirus symptoms:


1. A high temperature: any new high temperature where your child feels hot to touch on their chest or back (you do not need to measure the temperature)

2.  A new continuous cough: coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours

 3. A loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste: a noticeable loss of smell or taste or things smell and taste different to normal

If my child or I am unwell what should we do?

Do not leave your home if you have coronavirus symptoms:

  • a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  • a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • A loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste: a noticeable loss of smell or taste or things smell and taste different to normal

To protect others, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Stay at home.

How do I book a test?

There are currently three options for testing – Home test kit, Walk in and Drive through. Availability and options will vary depending on the area.

Call NHS Direct 119

 or click here to use the 111 online coronavirus service to check your symptoms and book a test.

If you’re worried about a baby or child - If they seem very unwell, are getting worse or you think there’s something seriously wrong, call 999.

Do not delay getting help if you’re worried. Trust your instincts.

How do I get urgent food and medicine if I have to self -isolate?

If you need extra help during the Coronavirus outbreak, don’t be afraid to ask a friend or neighbour. Alternatively, ask a support organisation you already know.

You can also get food and medicine delivered and left outside your door – if friends and family are unable to help. Register as vulnerable at GOV.UK or contact the One Reading Community Hub.

Pakistani Community Centre is also offering help with groceries, errands and language support (or call 0118 926 9031).

The One Reading Community Hub has been created for Reading Borough Council residents needing additional support during the outbreak. Through this service, you can arrange for an urgent delivery of food or medicine, connect with befriending services, or contact other sources of support.

How do I access alternative Medical help for my child or myself if we become unwell ?

Reading Walk-in Centre

A special medical hub has been set up for local people who are showing symptoms of Coronavirus but don’t need immediate hospital treatment. The hub is based at the Walk-in Centre in Reading’s Broad Street Mall.
This service will only be available to patients who have already gone through a medical assessment. Anyone experiencing coronavirus symptoms of a constant cough and/or high temperature will still initially be asked to self-isolate for seven days and seek advice from NHS 111 online if required. Patients will then be referred on to their GP practice and/or the hub where appropriate. Find out more about 
primary care hubs

Medical advice for children

If your child has a medical condition or injury, they should access treatment and attend medical appointments as recommended by their hospital, GP or healthcare professionals. The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPSH) has put together this handy traffic light guide to help you know what to do when your child is unwell or injured.


Who do I contact If I am experiencing Financial Difficulties due to Coronavirus or if we have to self Isolate as a family?

Council officers are available by phone to provide advice and assistance if you are in financial difficulty. They can help ensure you receive the income and/or welfare benefits you are entitled to. You can contact them on 0118 937 2197 or email Find out more 

The government has issued guidance for households with possible coronavirus to stay at home and self-isolate. Contact your employer as soon as you know you are unable to attend work and discuss arrangements for your pay. Check with your manager if your company has a sick pay scheme; details will be in your employment contract.


I am worried about my mental health and wellbeing if I have to self Isolate. Where can I find support?

We know that staying at home for a prolonged period of time can be difficult, frustrating and lonely for some people. During this challenging time, it’s important to take care of your mind as well as your body.
It’s also important to remember it is OK to feel this way and that everyone reacts differently. Remember, this situation is temporary and, for most of us, these difficult feelings will pass.

Every Mind Matters is an NHS service that provides simple tips and advice to help you take good care of your mental health. The website also has special sections for coping with isolation

Top tips for staying well:

  • Try to stay virtually connected with friends, family and neighbours – pick up the phone or have a conversation online through conference or social media apps.
  • Keep active – look for ideas of exercises you can do at home on the NHS website.
  • Eat well – try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals and drink plenty of water.
  • Activate your brain – do things you enjoy such as reading, cooking, learning a new craft, or mindfulness exercises.
  • Structure your day and make plans for what you can control. Keep to your normal routine as much as possible – set your alarm, eat at regular meal times and go to bed as usual.
  • Reach out for help if you are struggling.
  • Have a back-up plan in case somebody you normally rely on or look after needs to self-isolate.
  • Should you need someone to talk to you can contact the One Reading Community Hub on 0808 189 4325. They can help you access emotional as well as practical support.
  • Although it’s good to feel you’re in touch with the world, limit how much time you spend listening to the news and stick to reliable sources. There is a lot of misinformation circulating about coronavirus. You can check facts here  


Talking Therapies is a NHS service that offers support if you’re coping with challenges such as depression, stress, anxiety or phobias. Call 0300 365 2000 or email 

The Samaritans provide confidential listening support to help anyone work through what’s on their mind if they are feeling low. Call 116 123 or email at any time of the day or night. 


Domestic abuse

Please reach out for support if you are experiencing abuse or worried about another adult you believe may be experiencing abuse.

Escaping abuse is an entirely valid reason for leaving your home during a lockdown. There are many organisations which can help support you to do this as safely as possible. It’s important to know that you are not alone. Even if you are unable to leave your home you can still access support through one of the helplines listed below. If you suspect that members of your family, friends, neighbours or those in your community are victims of domestic abuse, we encourage you to report it to the police.

How to get help

If you feel you are in immediate danger call 999Press 55 when prompted if you can’t speak. If you can’t use a voice phone, you can register with the police text service – text REGISTER to 999.

If your situation is not urgent, call the police on 101 or contact the Housing Advice Service on 0118 937 2165 (01344 786 512 after 5pm) to plan your next steps if you need to move home because you are at risk. Find out more at

Berkshire Women’s Aid is there to help men, women and families who may be affected by any form of domestic abuse, and its services and refuges remain open. You can call the 24/7 helpline on 0118 950 4003. You can also contact them via Facebook or email Just let them know how to contact you and what time to contact you.

Refuge UK supports women, children and men experiencing domestic violence with a range of services and offers support through their 24-hour helpline: 0808 2000 247


Other Helpful Links


Local Support and Information

Reading Council


West Berkshire Council


Latest Government Guidelines and announcements.

There are three simple actions we all must do to protect each other:


- Wash Hands

Keep washing your hands regularly


- Cover Face

Wear a face covering in enclosed spaces


- Make Space

Stay at least 2 metres apart - or 1 metre with a face covering or other precautions

For more detail on the Government requirements regarding Covid-19 please Click here to go to the government website

Nursery School

Tel: 0118 937 5577



Waterside Day Care

Tel: 0118 937 5677



Postal Address

82 Lyndhurst Road



RG30 6UB